Contact
Links
Events
Forum
Gallery
Sentinel

1939-1945
During the war sentinel manufacture over 11,000 Bren gun, Lloyd and universal carriers, hundreds of Herbert turret lathes, also thousands of 94 mm and 114 mm shell casings and many more war time items. They also repaired American built Atlas, Buda, Caterpillar, Cummins, Fairbanks Morse and Waukesha diesel and petrol engines.

1941
Stephen Alley again sold all his shares, this time to Metal Industries ltd, who had the capital to expand the factory.

1945 Decemeber
Sentinel recommence production of 100 hp single-engined locos (No 9363) with a new shape.

1946
Both Sentinel-Doble lorries believed scrapped.

 

 

 

 

1946 August
The new Sentinel 7-8 ton 4 wheel,4 cylinder, 5.78 litre Diesel lorry introduced (4/4DV). Sentinel were relatively late developers of the oil engine lorries compared to their rivals who had already moved from steam powered wagons some years earlier.

1948 March
A 40 seater bus with Beadle body was produced with 4/4DV chassis.

1949 September
A six-cylinder, 9.12 litre, Diesel lorry designed to tow a trailer was launched called the 6/4DV.

 

 

 


Early 1950

An order was placed from the Argentine Government, which amounted to 100 S6 tipper waggons exported to Pategonia. The design of the cab was adapted to the sandy terrain of the Argentine landscape.

1950 Sept
The six wheeled versions of both the 4 and 6 cylinder diesel engines were introduced. D/V 4/6 & D/V 6/6.

1950 Sept
The Sentinel 44 seater Diesel bus was introduced with 6 cylinder engine and their own built body.

1951 July
30 ft coach chassis with 6 cylinder, direct injection diesel engine made available to coach builders.

 


 

 


 

 

 

NEXT>>
<<PREVIOUS
HISTORY OF THE SENTINEL