The first Shaft Drive 4 wheeler, known as the ‘S’ type (S4) was brought into production (No 8798). This had an enlarged version of the SDDG4 four-cylinder single-acting engine with two speed gearbox. The S4 could be optionally fitted with four wheel brakes. The cab was redesigned, a new lighter boiler was located behind the driver and the bunkers were situated above the boiler for ease of stoking.
Full Doble two-engined shunting loco supplied to LMS (No 8805), the only true Doble built with 1500 psi flash steam boiler.
The first Model S6 was introduced. This was a tipper No 8821 which survives today.
Sentinel buy Garner Motors and transfer production of 3,4 and 6 ton diesel or petrol lorries at Shrewsbury.
The Model S8 was introduced (No 8894) but only another eight were built of which only one survives (No 9105)
The S-Type tractor (No. 8656) was manufactured, but only five were made.
Sentinel introduce their new range of 3,4 & 5 ton Sentinel-Garner diesel & petrol lorries with Austin, Meadows or Perkins engines.
Second Sentinel-Doble lorry built with V4 triple-expansion engine and coke fired boiler.
Sentinel ran into financial problems after Stephen Alley had sold all his shares in the company. An Official Receiver brought in to rescue the company.
Abner Doble returned to America, all further development suspended
Sentinel rescued by Stephen Alley buying back into the company but Garner Motors was sold off to repay creditors.
Last DG waggon suppled to South Africa (N0 9329). A total of 851 DG’s produced from November 1927.
Sentinel buy rights to produce HSG (High Speed Gas) vehicles from Gilfords Ltd.
Last pre-war steam waggon exported to Dublin (No 9362). Some 405 ‘S’ type waggons were built since 1933.
Sentinel show new Sentinel HSG 5 ton lorry and 35 seater bus at Commercial Motor Show. Only one bus and about nine lorries actually sold before war intervened to stop all road vehicle production.
|HISTORY OF THE SENTINEL|