Stephen Alley and John MacLellan formed a partnership called Alley & MacLellan Ltd in Glasgow making valves, ships steering gear, small steam engines, compressors and even pre-fabricated ships.
Stephen Alley died and his son Stephen Evans Alley took over the partnership as Managing Director
Alley and MacLellan bought the rights of the Simspson-Bibby steam wagon and the assistance of Daniel Simpson its designer, all work was transferred to Glasgow.
The first Alley and MacLellan ‘Sentinel’ steam waggon was constructed and was known as the Model 6 Ton Flat or Model 5 Ton Tipper. These had a two-cylinder double-acting engine, a vertical boiler and steel straked or wooden fellow wheels.
An overtype ‘Sentinel’ waggon was produced, of which only seventeen were built.
Eleven 3 Ton waggons were built.
A & M offer solid rubber tyres as an optional extra on their ‘Sentinel’ steam waggons
Oct – 1915 July
A & M prefabricate a modular factory in Glasgow and erect it on a new site at Shrewsbury in just 9 months.
Solid rubber tyres become standard on all waggons and trailers.
Sentinel steam waggon (No.1010) was the last to be built in Glasgow.
The first Sentinel (No. 1102) was built on the Shrewsbury premises
The death of John MacLellan. Also death of Daniel Simpson in a road accident.
Stephen Alley sold all his shares in Alley and MacLellan, and bought the complete manufacturing unit at Shrewsbury from
A & M. He formed a new company ‘The Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd.’ and became its Chairman & Managing Director.
Sentinel patented their new Trailer design. Sentinels had built trailers for use with their waggons since 1905.
The new patented Sentinel-Cammell rail coach was introduced, using waggon engine and boiler and chain driven bogie unit, widening the product range.
Last Standard waggon built (No 4426). Some 3746 Standard waggons built since 1905.
HISTORY OF THE SENTINEL